All The Kids

baby baby baby baby BabyGaga

Wednesday, August 07, 2013

The Birth of Eva Claire

I probably should go to bed, but since I'll be summoned for a nursing session fairly soon, I thought I could use this time to write out Eva's birth story. Fair warning: it's gonna be what happened with no sugar coating! :)

It all started when my Dr and I discussed the possibility of induction, due to my increasing kidney stone attacks. I started actively pursuing natural induction methods, in hopes of avoiding a medical induction, but knowing I would take one if offered to me. And these things don't work for me - I tried "inducing" labour with all my kids to no avail. I truly believe that if my body wasn't ready to deliver, nothing apart from medical induction was going to work.

On Thursday, August 1, my Dr and I agreed that she would have me induced the following Wednesday (August 7) if Baby hadn't arrived by then. She was going away for the long weekend, leaving at noon on Friday and wouldn't be back until late Tuesday. I also wanted her to be there if possible, so I didn't push for induction sooner. (On a side note, once I delivered Maisy, my kidney issues resolved themselves and I didn't have another attack for about a year, so I was hoping for the same result this time.) After the appointment, during which she stripped my membranes, I pulled out all the punches. I took some blue and black cohosh, had an aggressive acupuncture appointment, etc. AND...had a castor oil concoction. I had done this two days earlier with nothing but a good system clean-out resulting, so I really had little hope of it doing anything different. Now I don't know if any, all or a combination of my efforts resulted in our little girl arriving, but I woke up on August 2 at 2:30 in the morning, having to go to the bathroom. I also had my first contraction as I crawled back into bed. I had a few more, but they weren't consistent. However, over the next half an hour, they did get very close together very quickly. And then I noticed I was bleeding. I had fully planned on waiting at least an hour, if not more, before evaluating whether I should go to the hospital. The last thing I wanted to do was to go (especially in the middle of the night) only to be sent home. But the bleeding scared me. I had bled a bit during my labor with Maisy and it turned out to be a placental abruption which led to her aspirating blood and having to be intubated and landed her in the NICU. Didn't want to risk my baby's life. So I woke Ryan and we agreed I should call my dr's office and talk to the dr on call. But the answering service said there was no one listed as on call and I should call the hospital (really weird...) and I was like, forget it, we are going in. So we woke the kids up and loaded them into the van, after calling my Dad and Terry. This was about 3:30. Once we started down the highway, my contractions changed from what I have been used to in my other labors to something I have never experienced before and they just got worse. It was a LONG trip to the city - when in reality, it's not really a long trip, especially when you're going 140-150 km/hr. Ryan definitely sensed a change in my behavior, breathing and sounds I was making! We pulled into Dad and Terry's driveway at about 4:10, dropped off the kids with hugs and kisses (well, I think I actually just gasped a good-bye) and headed to the hospital. We pulled into the old entrance because it is super close to labor and delivery, only to find the doors locked (WHAT?!) so I crawled back into the van - kneeling backwards on the seat because I just couldn't fathom sitting down. I told Ryan to just park in the ER spots - I didn't care if we got a million tickets! I think we arrived at about 4:25.
I had a brief period of less painful contractions as we walked through the ER, but as we headed down the hallway towards the elevators, I had to stop and just get down on my hands and knees. A dr passing by asked what was wrong and Ryan told him I was in labor. He got me a wheelchair, but honestly, I didn't want a wheelchair! Yet, I couldn't really walk. There was no break at all.
On another side note, Ryan said he should design a little cart that a laboring woman can be on her hands and knees on and her husband can push to where she needs to go. Like a trolly at Costco, but cushioned. I said that was an excellent idea. No joke. I would have been up for one of those!
Anyway, Ryan rushed me to the elevator where again, I had to get down on all fours for the trip up. I literally crawled into assessment. They very quickly got me into a room, where I was pretty frantic. This was all happening so fast. I told the nurse about the bleeding but she didn't seem concerned, which calmed my slightly. She managed to check my dilation and told me I was ready to deliver, which didn't surprise me. I had that thought a few times on the way in. She told me later that when I came in on my hands and knees she was pretty sure I was ready. So she whisked me off to a proper delivery room, telling Ryan as we passed him (he was taking care of paper work) the room we were going to. At that point, he felt the need to move the van to the proper parking lot. So he ran down, moved it, and ran back. Good thing he ran. Because in the meantime...
I got to my room, dropped my pants, climbed onto the bed and started pushing. The room had filled with about half a dozen people, I wasn't admitted - no one even knew my name. Someone told me to wait just a second and I told the room that I couldn't wait. This kid was coming. For some strange reason there was talk of using a vaccum. Not sure why - she came fast! I pushed a few times and felt a hand on my forehead. I assumed it was a nurse because I hadn't seen Ryan come in, but it was him. I think I maybe pushed three more times and then our little girl was placed on my chest. Her coming out was the best feeling EVER. Someone asked Ryan what we had, so he was able to check and announce she was a girl. She had let out a cry when she was born, but was then silent, so they did take her to the warming table quickly, where she started bellowing. Because she came so fast, she didn't get a good squeeze and so was quite mucous-y. She was face up and I am sure if she had been in the proper face down position...well, let's just say I may not have even made it onto the bed for the delivery. She was born at 4:41 a.m. Afterwards, the room sort of cleared out and got quiet and I went into a bit of shock - what the heck had just happened?! Two hours ago I just got up to use the bathroom! But little Eva Claire, weighing 7 lbs 3 oz and 19.5 inches long, scored a 9 on her APGAR both times and was just fine. I had some good shakes afterwards, but felt good. It was so different from my other three deliveries. But it was good. I was so happy to have her (and to have those awful contractions stop!!)
Oh - I hear her starting to stir for me. I may add to this later. I will certainly add pictures when I have the time!


Jana said...

Holy, fast much?! And I thought I was bad! You cut it pretty close, but at least you made it. She is a treasure and oh so sweet. What a blessing! I'm glad all is well and I hope the kidney stones stop :)

Karen said...

Wow, that is amazing that Eva was born in the hospital and not in your van! You just made it! Thanks for sharing, I love birth stories!