All The Kids

baby baby baby baby BabyGaga

Saturday, June 09, 2012

As I signed in to write this post, I realized it's my 500th post! Wow. That's a lot of posts. I guess I did start this blog way back in 2003, when Ryan and I were in Australia. That seems like a LONG time ago.
Anyway, for this 500th post, I am happy to report that Maisy is finally rolling. She's done some of her milestones in an odd order. She sat well at 4 months and 1 week (early) but only rolled for the first time yesterday (late). And usually babies roll first and then sit. Such a strange little ducky. And she really had no desire to move around, which actually suited me just fine. The best (read: easiest) stage is when the babes can sit but not move! And now that she's realized she can move...she's already starting to scooch around while on her bum as well as on her back and tummy. Ughh, time to baby proof. I'm mostly worried about the stairs to the basement. As long as the door stays closed, we're okay, so that's one more thing to drill into the older kids' heads.
Maisy has also had a dramatic change in her sleep. Or rather, in how she goes to sleep. She's been really good to be swaddled and snuggled and either put down drowsy or she falls asleep in my arms and stays asleep once put down. Three days ago, she decided she doesn't want to be snuggled to sleep. The best "replacement" I've found so far is to swaddle her so her arms still can't move, but have her laying on me facing out. She then generally drifts off and I can once again put her down. For one of her naps yesterday I settled her and just stuck her in her crib - of course, she wrestled her way out of the swaddle but after a brief complaining session, went to sleep. At bedtime, however, she just kept complaining, which turned into screaming. Finally I went to check on her - she had rolled onto her tummy and was NOT happy about it. She can't roll back yet, so instead of realizing that if she just laid her head to the side it is a very comfortable sleeping position, she continued to mash her face into the mattress and scream. Oh, and scooch towards the end of the crib. So it's going to be an interesting next few days while we figure out what works best for our new mover and shaker. I'd like her to fall asleep without the swaddle, but not only does she now roll over, but she also can't settle her arms. She just keeps moving them, mostly around her mouth, playing with her soother and flicking it out of her mouth. And she still likes the soother to suck while falling asleep. Once she's out, she doesn't need it, but until then... I can't really remember this stage with Ayda, our other soother user (Jared never really took one) but I do know that as long as she had her soother, she was settled, so I don't think we ever faced this situation of restless arms.
And while we are on the subject of Ayda...she is officially finished preschool and is super excited about kindergarten. She just wants to do what her older brother does. I think it will be super cute to watch them walk down the driveway together to wait for the bus in the morning. I'll have to remember to get pictures of that in the fall.
But let's not think about the fall just yet! We have a busy summer ahead of us. Because Ayda is finished her school for the year, but Jared is not, I feel like we are a bit in limbo. With the gorgeous weather we've been having (for the most part) I feel like we should be going to the cabin and pool and spray park, etc. But Jared still has school every other day for another couple of weeks, so I find myself frantically trying to think of things to entertain Ayda until we can truly start summer vacation. Ayda plus downtime or boredom usually equals a disaster (you should just see our basement right now...ughh, although that was a combined effort with Jared) so I have to keep her busy. She put makeup on my nephew the other day. My makeup. After she took him into my bathroom. A place she is not allowed to be. And mascara on herself.
But I digress. Summer will be here very soon (Jared now has only 6 days of school left!) and with barely a day to breath, the fun begins! The Lads and Dads fishing trip starts 2 days after Jared's last day of kindergarten, which leads into the Canada Day long weekend at the cabin, which leads into 2 weeks of swimming lessons, of which the last week also includes VBS at the church down the street. Then the kids and I will head up to the cabin for about a week, followed possibly by a trip to family camp for the weekend. The next week has VBS in the evenings at our church, and then we are back up to the cabin for a couple of weeks, with friends joining us for part of that. Then back home for another set of swimming lessons (the pool at a town nearby offers lessons for SO CHEAP - $18 for Ayda and $36 for Jared - totally awesome!). That leaves only one week before the September long weekend, and that week is up in the air, as we wait for a new niece or nephew to be born to Shaun and Karen. We are guessing Baby will make an appearance that last week, and if so, we'll be back to the cabin shortly after that and through the long weekend. I decided that this summer we would be up at the cabin as much as possible, because we had such a great time last summer doing that, even if it was just the kids and I. However, I am planning on implementing a schedule this summer. I'm starting to plan crafts and activities to do each day and in the event of rain. I think a schedule will keep everyone more happy and sane! Of course, there will be plenty of beach time, but with a napping baby this year, last year's fancy free days will not happen.
Phew - that was a rather long and rambling post. And possibly not at all interesting to anyone except myself.
Oh, has anyone read 50 Shades of Grey? I've heard it's "the read of the summer" and caught the very last few minutes of an interview with the author, during which I thought I should read the books. However, when I went to take a look at it, there was a large sign, warning of explicit content, not suitable for under 18. So I'd like some opinions by people I know. Thanks!

No comments: